As part of the outreach event, we also present a number of chemistry demonstrations before and after the student practical activities. The Royal Society of Chemistry (UK) Education website has excellent descriptions of these demonstrations and so we won’t repeat them here. The RSC website requires you to sign-up, but it is free to join, and hundreds of quality teaching and learning resources are available.
These three different colourful reactions (Traffic Light reaction, Blue Bottle reaction, and Cobalt blue to pink) are easy to do, can be prepared ahead of time, and can each be done in a single bottle.
- Teacher instructions and safety information – Traffic light reaction
- Teacher instructions and safety information – blue bottle reaction
- Teacher instructions for Cobalt demo (method, materials, safety considerations)File size 309.01 kB · Last modified · Download count 20
- Student leader booklet entryFile size 74.82 kB · Last modified · Download count 13
- Student booklet entryFile size 71.32 kB · Last modified · Download count 12